Wednesday, January 15, 2014

IronMan in Jamie's words

This was an article that Jamie wrote for his employers Wellness newsletter.  

We all have dreams.  For years I watched the televised version of the Ironman triathlon in Kona Hawaii.  I dreamed of hearing Mike Reilly, the voice of Ironman call my name. My dream was put into perspective 4 years ago when my older cousin completed the race.   I started to realize that if he could do it, so could I; maybe.

The Ironman triathlon consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run; in that order –in one day.  Needless to say, it took discipline, dedication and support to tackle this challenge.  One of the keys to any physical event; be it a 5k, 10k, marathon or an Ironman, is to have a plan. I hired a coach, signed up for advanced swimming lessons and scheduled a year of practice events. My coach was instrumental in holding me to my plan. He knew what I needed to do, when I needed to do it and how much I needed to do.  I relied on his guidance and encouragement for a year prior to the race. 

When race day came it was an experience that is hard to describe.  Excitement, anxiety and adrenaline consumed one ordinary guy from MN with the goal of being able to wear the coveted label – Ironman (not the gold and red ironman –but I would take that label as well).

What you may be surprised to read is that it was a team effort.  Sure, I was the one that was going to endure the race but I relied heavily on others to get me through.  I knew if I did my part they would do theirs.  When I seconded guess myself during training my coach ensured me that I was on the right path.  When I had to train for 6 hours on a Saturday my wife was there to watch the children.  When I was getting lonely and tired on mile 90 of the bike ride or trudging along mile 13 of the run there was a blob of people with my name on their t-shirts (affectionately known as my family) cheering my name, encouraging me to keep moving.  Knowing that back home, my co-workers, friends and family were all tracking my progress online was a powerful thought throughout the day and kept me focused.  Everyone played a role in my success.

What I learned is the only limit to what I could accomplish was the limits I placed on myself. So pick your next challenge and reach farther than you think- you will get there. 

Most importantly, I was able to give my disabled father (a Vietnam veteran) and my two boys a high five just before I crossed the finish line after 15 hours of endurance.  That feeling cannot be put eloquently into words other than to say –
 “yes, the sacrifice was worth it.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proud, very proud of you my boy!!!
You have inspired this morning.

Love
MOM